AI start ups in China, UK & Japan are getting a bigger share of VC deals as the share going to US companies continu… https://t.co/OLLW6gVaNn
Thu Jan 23 13:35:32View all Tweets >
Accelerators: Fast track to success
June 11, 2019
Iain Hopper, Director of Life Sciences & Health Technology, welcomed Founders & C-suite leaders from growth companies across the sector to discuss the benefits of accelerators for business success. Taking place as part of our Leadership Series, the dinner was hosted by Iain in partnership with Nooman Haque, MD of Life Sciences at Silicon Valley Bank and Adrian Rainey, Partner at Taylor Wessing. We thoroughly enjoyed hearing from Karolina Zapadka in relation to Accelerate@Babraham, Jason Mellad discussing Start Codon and Nate Mayfield providing fantastic insight into Illumina’s accelerator model and exciting plans for expansion. There was a real energy in the room and a great atmosphere which was very pleasing to see.
The discussion was moderated by Nooman Haque, and highlights included:
- Are UK founders, companies, or even the wider ecosystem ambitious enough? How do you balance ambition with the need to be cautious and deliberate in healthcare?
- How do we address the scale-up challenge and foster an ecosystem focused on creating £1bn companies?
- How do we recreate the “bottom up” enthusiasm for entrepreneurship that is so prevalent and infectious on the west coast of the US?
- What happens post-accelerator? Are we developing the companies with full foresight of the road and challenges ahead, e.g. will they be able to raise the VC round?
- Whilst funding is important, Founders and business leaders are crying out for guidance and mentorship from experienced business leaders on the practicalities of how to run and scale a business
- How do we better promote entrepreneurialism and communicate business acumen to scientists and academics?
The dinner took place in Cambridge as part of Bailey Fisher’s Leadership Series for Founders & C-suite leaders. If you are interested in finding out more about future Life Sciences Leadership events, please contact Iain Hopper, Director of Life Sciences & Health Technology at Bailey Fisher.